Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dance!

Just in case you were wondering about my blog's web address - Tari-menari tiap-tiap hari  = it is Malay or Indonesian for "Dance every day". I had no idea my name meant 'to dance' until I served my mission over there and got to learn that beautiful language. I have always loved to dance!

This semester I am in a Ballroom dance class. It is really fun! I took it once before .. I think it was my second semester at USU. But after a couple years of not dancing I forgot most of what I had learned. So this semester, Ballroom once again fit into my schedule and I took advantage of it.

Anyway, our dance teacher wanted us to have a little dance competition. So tonight our class performed the Tango.
 

We were number 40. The ballet class got to judge us and pick a favorite. It was awesome. I wasn't nervous at all until we actually stepped out onto the dance floor. There were at least as many people who came to watch as there was dancing. It was pretty crowded in there but it was awesome! Tango has definitely moved up on my list of favorite dances now. I still think the Cha Cha is my absolute favorite. We'll be starting that next week in class so we shall see if I still love it :)

Yay for dancing... I couldn't help but think of this quote:
Elizabeth Bennet: I wonder who first discovered the power of poetry in driving away love? 
Mr. Darcy: I thought that poetry was the food of love. 
Elizabeth Bennet: Of a fine stout love, it may. But if it is only a vague inclination I'm convinced one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead 
Mr. Darcy: So what do you recommend to encourage affection? 
Elizabeth Bennet: Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.
(I LOVE that movie!)

The advanced ballroom class did a waltz routine where they started in two lines (guys and girls facing one another) and then moved into line of dance, it made me think of those dances you see in Pride and Prejudice and other period movies. That would be so fun to learn too.

Dancing is awesome!

No comments: