Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spring Semester 2011



I have been back in Logan for 4 days now. Saturday was nice. It was a relief to get back up to Logan in my own car and it felt great to reorganize my room. My brother calls me a neat freak. It's not that I really enjoy cleaning (although sometimes it is an effective means of stress reduction) - but I like things to be cleaned and organized. I can handle a little bit of clutter, but I like it when things have a place. That's why I finally put together my bookcase, went through my storage and drawers - I got rid of old papers and things that I didn't need any more. It was quite liberating.

Sunday was good. I slept in a little then made pancakes for breakfast - I put the pear jam on them that my roommate gave me for Christmas. I LOVE pear jam - aka pear butter. It is one of my favorite things in the world - along with home made bread and fresh pressed apple juice. Mmm *heaven*.
  After church, I went back to the apt. for a quick dinner, then back to the church to watch the CES Fireside. Elder D. Todd Christofferson gave a talk entitled: "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread"   He talked about taking things day by day and how goals are accomplished one day at a time. It was really good. :)
  Then once the fireside was over, I stayed at the church for Ward Choir practice. We are going to sing 'Come Thou Fount" so that should be nice.

This week has been going well. I think I am really going to enjoy my classes this semester. I am especially excited for my REVIT class and the Sustainability class. REVIT will be great because I love figuring out how things are built. Sustainability will be awesome, because once the class is over, I should be ready to take the LEED GA exam - if I pass it, I will be a LEED General Associate, first step to becoming a LEED Accredited Professional. I love Sustainable ("Green") design. That was something that really got me interested in Interior Design, that and the ADA. I like my 'Business Practices in Interior Design' class. I think that will be very helpful as I get ready to apply for an internship this summer, and in the future when I am working. Our assignment for tomorrow was to find a blog or website that inspires us. I am going to share dwellinggawker.com and a blog that I found on there: The Designer Pad. If you need some quick inspiration, check those websites out!

  I am also impressed with my Fundamentals of Marketing class, I feel that I am going to learn a lot in that class. Our first reading is titled: "Are You a High Potential" by Douglas A Ready, Jay A. Conger and Linda A Hill. It is on the Business Source Premier section of EBSCOHost. The article is about 'High Potential' employees of a company and how they are treated differently, and what exactly the define a 'High Potential' to be:


Anatomy of a High Potential
High potentials always deliver strong results, master new types of expertise, and recognize that behavior counts. But it's their intangible X factors that truly distinguish them from the pack.
THE FOUR X FACTORS OF HIGH POTENTIALS  
1.  Drive to excel
2.  Catalytic learning capability
3.  Enterprising spirit
4.  Dynamic sensors


Very interesting. I love my classes! I think the best part is, is that I get to study something that really interests me, and will have practical applications today, and when I graduate and get out there and get a job! Awesome!

Something else I have realized this week.... I am really blessed with great friends. I am so lucky to have awesome roommates and great friends in almost all of my classes. Just another reason why this is going to be a great semester. Also, in the classes that I don't know anyone, the people have been super friendly. :) I found this picture a little while back and thought it was fitting now:
In other news - Sassy is still running! I am very grateful for that, I have grown quite attached and reliant on my car. I hope she makes it at least through the semester!


No comments: