Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Moment of Truth...

So Thursday I hopped in my car to go mail a package to my Dad and instead of roaring to life... my car decided to start and then a few seconds later, die. Then she wouldn't start again...awesome, as in not really. So I borrowed my brother's car to run to the post office and then when I came back I first, put my spare where it goes (when they replaced my wheel, they didn't put the tire back in the right spot, just chucked it in my truck... lame), cleaned out my trunk and then popped the hood to see what I could do. I checked the oil, antifreeze and the general look of the engine to see if I saw anything out of the ordinary but no luck. When my stepdad got home from work we looked at it again, check a couple of other things, even tried jumper cables to make sure it wasn't my battery... but again no luck. We were going to try again yesterday but he wasn't able to get off of work early enough so here was are, the day I want to go back to Logan, trying again. I really hope we can find out what is wrong, that it is a small, easy fix, and that I can get on my way. We shall see.

In other news, over the break I was getting very familiar with Wikipedia Commons. My Dad wanted me to find him some copyright free pictures of artwork for one of his projects. Did you know that in the USA, after the lifetime of the artist, plus 70 years, then the artwork is considered in public domain. I had no idea- but that is pretty cool.

My favorite artists are Claude Monet, Edouard Manet, and JMW Turner. I enjoy many different styles and subjects of art, but if I had to pick 3, these would be my favorites. Honorable mention to Vincent Van Gogh, I have been able to see many of these artist's works in person in various art galleries over the world. Speaking of art galleries, I need to get to one, I haven't been to an art gallery in a while.

But anyway I thought that I would share some pieces that I like:
Vincent Van Gogh
Vincent Van Gogh
Claude Monet
Claude Monet
JMW Turner

















I think the last art museum I went to was the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. I'm usually not a huge fan of modern art museums, but I really enjoyed that one. They had a couple of temporary exhibits that used light and color - so interesting!

I couldn't help but include this piece also:
'Soul of the Rose' by JW Waterhouse





















Waterhouse has many paintings of women from medieval times or inspired from literature. I liked this one :'The Soul of the Rose' - for one thing, because I like roses a lot, and I like the general quality and feeling of this piece. 

Well wish me luck with my car. I really would like to drive myself up to Logan today. We'll see what happens. 

No comments: