One of the things I have been giving my attention to lately is my love of good quotes - whatever the source. I love quotes from writers, Prophets, poets, academics, and 'ordinary people' - if there is such thing. So to start my collection I went and bought me a journal of sorts that has 'Live Love Laugh" written on the outside. What really drew me to this particular journal was the silver coating of the pages. I thought it was fitting to hold the words of wisdom, advice, and observations of the quotes I will find to fill it - little treasures. The first quote of my new book is by Henry David Thoreau:
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Live the life you have imagined"
I LOVE that quote. I thought it was particularly fitting to begin this year off with because this year I will graduate from USU! I have a feeling that this year will play a part in shaping the rest of my life. (well I suppose every year, every day has the potential to shape the rest of our lives)
I am grateful for the Christmas Season, and although we know better as to the date of Christ's birth, I like celebrating it at the end of the year. It is a wonderful opportunity to shift the focus of our lives to others, to try harder to do good and to reevaluate our priorities. Then as soon as Christmas is over, we get to celebrate the beginning of a New Year, full of the lingering Christmas Spirit. This new year will probably bring trials and difficult situations... but I am grateful for the opportunities that are going to come my way, the decisions I am going to have to make that will influence me, my future and perhaps to some extent those around me. Sometimes it is easy to feel insignificant but I know that we have a greater influence on those around us than we realize.
As I have been contemplating the past year, I wonder if I wasted some of it. If I could have done more, if I should have done this or that.. I am borrowing this quote from my friend's blog, which got me thinking...
You can always look back and see where you might have done something differently, changed this or that. If you can learn something, fine, but never second-guess yourself.
It's wasted effort. –John Wooden
I know that there is truth in that. Although I am sure there are times in our past where we could and should have done something differently... but once things are done, we should focus on the present and what we can do today. I try to live in the moment. Now don't get me wrong, I think of the future and I set goals and make plans, but I really try to be in the moment - to give my attention to those I am with, savor the moment and make the most of it.
As I have been thinking about my goals for the month, semester and year, these words came to mind: Balance, Aspiration, Confidence and Courage. I feel like this year is going to be a challenge and that I am really going to have to step up to the plate and courageously move forward. That reminds me of a quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley:
"This is a season to be strong. It is a time to go forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships,
in other words, to become more Christlike."
And so it is with an open heart I welcome the New Year and move forward in the direction of my dreams grateful for those family members and friends who are such a strength and blessing in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment