I was browsing Netflix to see what new movies were available to watch instantly and Eat.Pray.Love. was right there on the home page. I forgot how excited I was to see that movie - and then never did and then I forgot all about it. I was mainly excited to see it because she ends her journey in Bali, Indonesia... somewhere I want to visit - and very close to Malaysia. (I know I left part of my heart there, just last night I dreamed I was there) Speaking of Malaysia, I have been back in the US for 15 months now. I thought I stopped counting, but when the 23rd rolls around, it's hard not to think about it.
I enjoy movies... a lot. I love to quote lines from movies when they fit with conversation, or to send a message to someone. This usually happens with my cousin, we have very similar tastes in movies, and we have watched many of the same movies and BBC series so I like to quote things to her - most other people around us have no idea what I am talking about, but she understands. I love that.
I like movies that make you feel good, movies that make you laugh, movies with action, and even the occasional sci-fi. :) Sometimes I love to watch movies that make you think, or that take you on a journey within yourself. That is why I wanted to watch Eat.Pray.Love. Now, I realize that you don't have to go half way around the world to find yourself, because often is it not about finding yourself, but deciding the kind of person you want to be, and changing and growing. There's a song by Sister Hazel that goes "if you want to be somebody else, if you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, if you want to be somebody else, change your mind." I enjoy most of their songs and I think they have a point with this one. Although, in my way I did go half way around the world to find myself. I served a mission. Now don't think that was my only reason for going. Serving a mission is not all about you, or it shouldn't be... but there is something about getting outside of your comfort zone, eating new foods, meeting new people, learning a language, and immersing yourself in another culture that gets under your skin like nothing else. In a way, I have been doing that most of my life. In every city, every country there are new ideas, new ways of expressing oneself, different mindsets, traditions, treasures, secrets, mysteries, and people.
Last night I watched Runaway Bride. Let me just say that Julia Roberts is awesome. I really like that movie - mainly for the part where she has to know who she is, and her husband to be needs to know who she really is before she marries.
But getting back to Eat.Pray.Love. I wouldn't say that it is my favorite movie ever, but I loved seeing her experiences, and watching her journey. I love her time in Italy, just enjoying life and not feeling guilty about the food she was eating. Her time in India was very interesting, the healing and learning to forgive herself, and in Bali - learning to love again - but more importantly all along the way, she helped others. I think that in helping others, that is when she found a version of herself that she liked. I think that is pretty profound. When we help others sincerely, it is then we bring out the best in ourselves. (In other news, my roommate has the book so I think I am going to read it :)
Life is good. It really is. Yes there are hard times, yes there are things that we can't control, yes there are good people and bad people out there, but we ultimately we choose if we are happy or not by the decisions we make. Happiness is not a destination. We choose every day if we are going to be happy or not by the things we do and say, the people we help - or don't. Life is a journey so make it a good one.


No comments:
Post a Comment