Saturday, June 19, 2010

Stake Conference

Last night to kick off stake conference was stake temple night. That was really nice. :) I am so grateful to live so close to a temple, that I can go any time. Great place to leave the world behind and ponder on things that really matter. Also a great place to receive peace and personal revelation and answers to prayers. ^_^

Today I awoke before my alarm to 'stayin' alive' by the Beegees .. did I mention that I can't stand them? My stepdad loves music, and to play it loudly whenever he is doing something. Well this morning he got up early to make us all breakfast and the music followed. >_< Oh well, it made sure that I didn't fall back asleep after my alarm went off, and breakfast was awesome - pancakes, sausage and bacon Mm!

Today was alot of running errands. Tomorrow we are having a Father's day/Grandpa's Birthday BBQ so today we went out to get things for it. I will be making a cabbage salad (yum!) and a couple of Banana Cream Pies! So fun! Then came back and had lunch and my brother and I ran to the cute Farr's Ice cream parlor near our place. I went for Pralines and Cream today. It was fabulous!

Then after some down time, including watching some first season(2005) Dr. Who on netflix my stepdad and I went to the Saturday night session of Stake Conference. It was really good. A big theme was strengthening the family. Elder Hales presided and spoke to us. The last time I saw him was about 2 years ago while I was in the MTC. He came and spoke on the Atonement.

On my way out the door I grabbed the first notebook that had space to take notes with. It was one I got on my mission to take zone conference notes and things. So before I share some notes from stake conference, I am going to share some notes from a super cute count down to Christmas book Elder and Sister Young put together for all of us missionaries in the Kuching Zone last Christmas.

"Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let you down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other." - President Marvin J Ashton

"To remain true and faithful through this mortal vale of tears, we must love God with all our heart, might, mind, and strength and love our neighbor as ourselves... We must gather strength from each other. We must also succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees."
(See Matt. 25:35-36,40; and Mosiah 2:17)

"As we remember the Savior, we remember an empty tomb that the Lord has risen and a promise to all of the Resurrection and life after death. Because of our Savior's Atonement, in death's darkness there is no sting, in death's depression there is no victory." -Elder Robert D. Hales


So back to tonight's meeting:

One of my favorite quotes this evening was used by President Jardine to open the meeting which he borrowed from President Marvin J Ashton:  "What we learn to love, we learn to live, what we learn to live will make or break who we are."

No comments: