So.. day two of the semester. I can't believe I am here going to class. And although I thought I'd be okay with the weather, every time I go outside I wish I was back in Malaysia more. Nevermind. Summer will be here soon enough. (I hope!!)
So Church was good on Sunday. I had to introduce myself many many times but I also found a few people who I knew from the last time I lived here. So that was kind of cool. One of my favorite things about Sunday was the Book of Mormon Challenge our Bishopric gave us - to read the entire Book of Mormon by the end of the semester. They gave us a schedule to follow if we desired. I was way excited for this because I was on my third reading of the Book of Mormon since I entered the field but had slowed down the pace of my reading. I love reading the Book of Mormon from beginning to end so I can have all of the stories in context a little more.
Today I had my Institute class: The Parables of Jesus. This class is going to be really good, I can tell already. Today our teacher mentioned that "Parables are designed for the conscience not the mind". I always wish I understood the parables more so, here's my chance! He also quoted two talks that I thought were really good "Be Your Best Self" by President Thomas S. Monson and "Search Me, O God, and Know My Heart" by President James E. Faust. I would suggest reading them. The parts he quoted in class were about the value of learning lessons from the scriptures and applying the things we learn.
He also quoted Matthew 23:24 as our introduction to the study of Parables. The meaning of this verse is those who are so careful to appear unto men that they would not commit the least sin, and yet they really transgress the whole law.
He also quoted "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage where he talks about why parables were used by the Savior to teach truths:
"There is plainly shown an element of mercy in the parabolic mode of instruction adopted by our Lord under the conditions prevailing at the time. He had always taught in explicit declaration, such as required no interpretation, many among His hearers would have come under condemnation, inasmuch as they were too weak in faith and unprepared in heart to break the bonds of traditionalism and the prejudice engendered by sin, so as to accept and obey the saving word. Their inability to comprehend the requirements of the gospel would in righteous measure give Mercy some claim upon them, while had they rejected the truth with full understanding, stern Justice would surely demand their condemnation"
I am excited for our next class!
I encourage everyone to follow the Book of Mormon challenge, especially if you haven't read it cover to cover in a while.
Day 1: Introduction
Day 2: 1 Nephi chapters 1 and 2
Day 3: 1 Nephi chapters 3-5
Day 4: 1 Nephi chapters 6-8
Day 5: 1 Nephi chapters 9-11
Day 6: 1 Nephi chapters 12-13
Day 7: 1 Nephi chapters 14-15
(If you want to keep time with me, today is day 2)
One of my favorite scriptures from today's reading is: 1 Nephi chapter 2:16 "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the amysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did bvisit me, and did csoften my heart that I did dbelieve all the words which had been spoken by my efather; wherefore, I did not frebel against him like unto my brothers."
I love this verse because, it wasn't easy for Nephi to accept God's commandment at first, but instead of rebelling, he prayed and asked the Lord to soften his heart. The spirit can help us change our desires and help us to become more Christlike.
Well I rambled on for a long time, but I am so grateful for this opportunity I have to study now - both in Institute and my other University classes.
Have a fantastic day!
Jadi... hari yang kedua semesterku. Aku hampir tidak boleh percaya aku sedang balik belajar. Saya telah fikir saya boleh tahan cuaca di sini, tapi semakin saya pergi di luar, semakin saya nak balik Malaysia! Tidapa. Musim panas akan datang tidak lama lagi (Aku berharap!!)
Jadi Gereja di sini bagus. Saya memperkenalkan diri banyak kali Hari minngu lepas. Dan lagi, saya ada jumpa dengan orang yang aku sudah kenal. Mereka tinggal di sini tiga tahun lalu apabila saya duduk di sini. Salah satu perkara saya suka dari hari Minggu lalu adalah "Cabaran Kitab Mormon" dari uskapan kami. Mereka mahu kami untuk baca semua Kitab Mormon sebelum akhir semester. Mereka bagi kami satu jadual untuk ikut kalau kami nak. Saya suka untuk membaca Kitab Mormon dari permulaan supaya saya dapat erti semua cerita-cerita sedalam lagi.
Saya menjemput semua orang untuk ikut Cabaran Kitab Mormon!
Hari 1: Baca Asal Usul
Hari 2: 1 Nefi pasal 1 dan 2
Hari 3: 1 Nefi chapters 3-5
Hari 4: 1 Nefi chapters 6-8
Hari 5: 1 Nefi chapters 9-11
Hari 6: 1 Nefi chapters 12-13
Hari 7: 1 Nefi chapters 14-15
(Kalau nak ikut, hari ni, hari 2)
Satu ayat saya suka dari hari ni: 1 Nefi 2:16 "Dan terjadilah bahwa aku Nefi, yang masih sangat muda, akan tetapi mempunyai perawakan besar; aku sangat berkeinginan untuk mengetahui rahasia-rahasia Tuhan. Karena itu aku berseru kepada Tuhan dan lihatlah, Ia mengunjungi aku dan melunakkan hatiku sehingga aku mempercayai segala perkataan yang telah dikatakan ayahku, oleh karena itu, aku tidak memberontak terhadapanya seperti saudara-saudaraku"
Saya suka ayat ni sebab, tidak senang bagi Nefi untuk menerima perintah itu. Tapi dia berdoa kepada Tuhan. Tuhan melalui Roh-Nya, melembutkan hati Nefi. Jadi, dengan kita, kalau kita cepat marah atau ada kelemahan lagi, kita boleh berdoa kepada Tuhan dan Dia boleh hantar Roh Kudus kepada kita untuk berubah sifat-sifat atau hati kita. Saya tahu itu benar, kita boleh mejadi seperti Yesus Kristus kalau kita merendahkan diri dan ikut perintah-perintah Tuhan.
Minta maaf, ini panjang sangat! Tapi saya amat bersyukur bagi peluang ni untuk belajar lagi. :)
Selamat malam!
No comments:
Post a Comment